Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oilers v. Sabres - Luke 16:1-14

Then Kevin told this story: "There was once a rich group of men whose manager was accused of wasting their possessions. So they called that manager in and asked him, 'What is this we hear about you? Give an account of your management or you may not be our general manager any longer.'

Then I said... um... the manager said to himself, 'What should I do now? My master is threatening to take away my job. I'm not young enough to play, and I'm ashamed to beg for an arena...' After much thought I said... er... he said to himself, 'I know what I'll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses!'

So he called in two slaves from two different masters. He asked the first, 'How much does your master owe you?' 'They have offered only three and a half million over three years, playoffs included!,' he replied. So I told him, 'Sit down quickly, and make it seven million over seven years!'

Then he asked the second, 'And how much are you owed?' 'The offer is about two million,' he replied. So I told him, 'Take your contract and make it four million!'

When Cal and the boys heard this they commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. Inspired by his shrewdness, they decided not to fire the manager, but to sell their possession! For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than those who are honest.

So then, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves so that when it is gone, your name might be written on the Cup of a lord. Someone who played well for very little will play even better for much, and whoever is lazy with very little will be even lazier with much. If you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of playoff triumph? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will trust you with a lord's Cup? No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both the interests of winning Cups and hoarding money."

Thomas Vanek and Dustin Penner, who loved money, heard all of this and were chuckling to themselves.

2 comments:

Dan said...

LOL I loved that Oilerpretation. Thanks for all the previous ones and please keep them coming - they're always very well done.

Scott Reynolds said...

Thanks for reading! It's good to know others are being entertained as well.